George Washington Parke Custus and Arlington Chapel
Arlington's first house of worship, the Chapel of Ease of Arlington Plantation, was near this location. George Washington Parke Custis built it about 1825 for this family, neighbors, and servants. Services were conducted by students from the Episcopal Theological Seminary in Alexandria. Union soldiers burned the building at the beginning of the Civil war. The congregation was reestablished after the war when it met in abandoned federal barracks in this vicinity. The trinity Episcopal church, now located at South Wayne street and Columbia pike, is the successor congregation.
Marker is at the intersection of Columbia Pike (Virginia Route 244) and Orme Street, on the right when traveling west on Columbia Pike.